Educating local authorities & housing associations on PVC building product's sustainability credentials
Published on: 2015-03-18
Description: Promoting PVC with procurement professionals and decision makers for private sector housing associations, private sector construction companies and private sector DIY retailers
British Plastics Federation (BPF) - U.K.
- To promote PVC with procurement professionals and decision makers for private sector housing associations, private sector construction companies and private sector Do-It-Yourselves (DIY) retailers.
- To engage with them by sharing promotional material, good examples, case studies and solid unbiased data that they can use in their communications.
- Expansion of existing contact database to include building companies, housing companies, DIY retailers.
- Arrange meeting(s) with key UK Local Authorities (LAs) with PVC restrictions in place to follow up on the communications made in 2014 and help them speed up the process to reverse their restrictions.
- Improve reltaionships with building companies, housing associations and DIY retailers that have positive approaches towards using PVC products.
- Achieve significant exposure with decision makers in local government / building companies / housing associations with a view to influencing specification and buying decisions.
- Use a number of events to engage with potential ambassadors of PVC products and promote the VinylPlus label. These events will include trade shows for building companies and DIY sector and other events for public sector.
- The BPF database was expanded through a mix of contacts from BPF members and BPF presence at procurement trade shows. Through regular contacts with this database, BPF received positive results in identifying and helping to change procurement legislation at local authority level, including that of Islington Council (http://www.islington.gov.uk/services/business-licensing/opportunities/selling_council/Pages/default.aspx).
- Contact was taken with 10 Local Authorities across the UK discussing on their negative stances on PVC procurement. BPF explained to them the positive use of PVC through proven case studies, including sustainability and the value of PVC products.
- Contacts were established with building companies, housing associations and DIY retailers, helping to build relationship with them and supply key information about the benefits of specifying PVC.
- Several e-bulletins were sent through a publication relevant for local government executives (http://thebpf.co.uk/t/H0P-3EYF5-162C95SJA7/cr.aspx). An article was also published in the Government Business Magazine, promoting the benefits of using PVC in construction.
- Procurex trade shows were identified as a key opportunity to engage with local authorities. Therefore BPF visited “Procurex Manchester" and exhibited at "Procurex South" (London) and "Procurex Scotland" (Glasgow), handing out literature about successful PVC in construction case studies, the VinylPlus Progress Report 2015, and other materials.