PVC goes BIO
Published on: 2016-01-18
Description: Communicate & show that sustainable utilisation of different biomasses & wastes requires a wide variety of PVC products
Project Description & Objectives
- To communicate and show the fact that sustainable utilization of different biomasses and wastes requires a wide variety of PVC products, pipes, floorings etc.
- The aim is to enhance the open dialogue that is in line with VinylPlus vision
- This objective is consistent with VinylPlus strategy of entire part of Environmental Performance.
Milestones / Deliverables
- PVC goes BIO –seminar was held on 12th of March 2016, Scandic Hotel in Järvenpää, Finland, To increase the awareness of the importance of PVC products in bioeconomy
- Topics were:
- What is bioeconomy, Maija Pohjakallio, The Chemical Industry Federation of Finland
- Material efficiency and sustainability, Tommi Lehtisalo, Motiva
- PVC as a key material in bioeconomics and circular economy:
- Case 1 How PVC pipes are needed in agriculture and pulp processing, Marko Heikkinen, Pipelife Finland Oy
- Case 2 PVC profiles in energy saving applications, windows, doors, and greenhouse applications, Anna Hokkanen, Oy Primo Finland Ab
- Case 3 PVC profiles are durable and non-toxic in fences, terraces, and railing systems, Sakari Mustonen, Finera Aitateollisuus Oy
- Green plasticizers, Rasmus Pinomaa, Perstorp
- PVC – From ugly duckling to swan: How to proceed from now on? (General discussion)
- 19 participants
- Article from the seminar in MuoviPlast journal no 3/2016 (released 10.6.2016)
- “PVC goes BIO Järvenpäässä”, pp 32
- The only professional plastic journal in Finnish
Next steps / actions
- Vinyl Group workshop for bio-brainstorming on 20th of September 2016 in Helsinki during the Foodtech, Pactec, Plastec SignTech expo.
- To clarify the value chain of PVC products in the circular economy as well as the recycling of PVC products
- The workshop will be organized together with plastic recyclers in order to enhance the dialogue between PVC users and recyclers and to find realistic solutions.