The new age of PVC pipes: designers, authorities, utilities
Published on: 2016-01-18
Description: PVC is definitely a material of choice
Contribution to the VinylPlus Communication Vision
This communication plan, aims at opening a dialogue with the Italian Utilities and at exploring the possibility of cooperation in the two fields of interest for PVC Forum and VinylPlus: piping and waste.
This new dialogue could lead to a new relationship between the parties involved so that PVC Forum Italy/VinylPlus can become in the next years a technical support and quality assurance on PVC pipes for utilities, while the Utilities could become points of collection of those PVC waste to be sent to recycling.
A further objective is to gradually introduce PVC4pipes and its activities, in order to make it become a stakeholder for the utilities, able to support the activity of promotion carried out by the Group pipes of the PVC Forum Italia.
- The project aims at informing and sensitising designers, engineers, municipalities on the benefit of PVC pipes and on the PVC industry ‘s contribution to the circular economy.
- The project is organised directly involving some of the pipes and fittings manufacturing companies, members of the PVC Forum Italia, and with the support, for some aspects, of PVC4pipes
- The organisation of a PVC waste collection scheme with the utilities is a further aim of the project
The project includes three phases:
- 5 courses with Orders of Engineers aimed at promoting PVC pipes for training engineers
- Contacts with Bodies and Authorities
- Participation with a booth at H2O, the Italian exhibition dedicated to water transportation
- Organisation of a workshop at Ecomondo Rimini in November 2016
- Preparation, printing and realisation of digital support of the documentation for both engineers and authorities regarding: VinylPlus; market; PVC pipes installation; PVC pipes advantages; environmental impact , LCA and sustainability of PVC and PVC pipes; quality tests √ done
- Preliminary contacts with the Orders of Engineers (Engineers Association) √ done
- Organisation and management of 5 courses and training sessions with engineers
- Training courses Brescia, Perugia, Treviso, Trento and Bologna √ done
Direct and indirect contacts with bodies and authorities
This action is being implemented within the phase 2, thanks to the contacts taken with the utilities. In general, in fact, the Italian utilities have a mixed private/public (municipalities) ownership, which should facilitate the creation of relationships with the PVC Forum.
- Direct contact with Utilitalia √ done
- Contacts taken with communications department and technical sector water.
- PVC Forum and Utilitalia will collaborate at the project Global Water Expo at Ecomondo (see phase 3)
- Utilities database creation (the list includes about 100 Italian utilities) √ done
- Newsletter format definition (on the basis of the feedback received , the PVC Forum will evaluate the opportunity of implementing a dedicated software) and preparation of supportive documents, also in cooperation with PVC4pipes (PVC pipes state-of-art and innovation)
- 4 newsletter already sent
- other 8 newsletters are in preparation for 2016 on:
- Characteristics of PVC pipes and their correct installation, duration of the performance and operating life, LCA of PVC pipes and fittings, technical and performance specifications for the PVC pipes, the reasons for choosing PVC pipes, pipe market in Italy and Europe, features and high performance of the innovative products, recovery and the recycling of PVC in Italy and in Europe, VinylPlus waste program and results in Italy and Europe, closed loop of PVC and article containing recycled PVC.
- Recyclability of PVC and of PVC pipes and possible synergy with the Utilities collection areas.
- Direct contact with some utilities: ongoing
- Contacts are currently ongoing with Utilitalia in order to organise meetings with some of their members.
- A meeting has been organised with SMAT Turin (water management) and Veolia Turin (sewage systems).
- During the meeting were discussed the issues related to the use of the PVC pipes for sewage and drinking water. All the documents prepared by the Group pipes, and the activities carried out by VinylPlus and PVC4Pipes, were presented. In particular, the PVC Forum addressed the issues related to performance, duration and life cycle of materials, and discussed the position of the utilities on the new procurement code and on the CAM GPP protocols.The Newsletter initiative was positively evaluated, and it has been expressed the need of having more continue and detailed information on PVC pipes systems.
- A first meeting with Veritas Venezia has also been organised. This first meeting was entirely dedicated to the waste management (in the zone covered by Veritas), in anticipation of the meetings already planned on the issue with the Italian authorities. A further meeting on the benefits of the use of PVC for water transportation is also foreseen.
Phase 3 (Ecomondo)
- Contacts with Utilitalia for the organisation of a specific event at Ecomondo: ongoing
- In occasion of Ecomondo, Utilitalia is promoting a special initiative called Global Water Expo. The Global Water Expo is a kind of physical “market place” for the water industry, dedicated to the Italian water value chain, involving top national utilities, ESCOs , industry and technologists. At the Global Water Expo , the value chain can meet the producers of technologies and discuss the issues concerning innovation and sustainability, regulations and development of new markets.
- The PVC Forum Italia will have an info desk at the Global Water Expo, close to the main Italian Utilities and will exploit the possibilities given by the common area where events, interviews, meetings will take place during Ecomondo.The PVC Forum will also organise a conference in the framework of the Global Water Expo.
- Participation with a booth
- In addition to the Global Water Expo, the PVC Forum Italia will also have a dedicated space where to promote the sustainability of PVC , in particular in relation to the Circular Economy and VinylPlus